Convention Review from a first timer: Ad Astra 2018 - Toronto (Part 4 of 5) - Ira Nayman


Meeting neat people:  What would a convention be without them? 
    
Being a first timer, I didn’t know anyone and didn’t really know how to make friends.  It’s kind of funny how easy it is as kids, but as soon as we reach a certain age, we get too hung up on embarrassing ourselves.  That’s how it goes for me.  In the end, I remember the few interactions I had (at dinner, after sessions or in the dealer room) most vividly.  It speaks to the power of one on one interactions – they engage areas of your brain that presentations just don’t.  The difference between being a spectator and an active participant, I suppose.

When I met Ira Nayman, he seemed like a pretty chill guy.  Little did I know there was mad genius hiding beneath that unassuming white beard and banging floral vest. Seriously, look at him – the pure awesomeness of his pose; the careful, almost grandfatherly way he clutches that copy of his novel in his right hand; the wry look of curiosity and intrigue (*cough* concern) on his face as he regards me from the safety of his side of the table and…is that a shopping bag poking out of pocket?  

Seriously though, he told me to enjoy the weirdness.  Embrace the weirdness.  Best advice I got the whole time I was at Ad Astra.  Besides, what else is a science fiction convention supposed to be?  Drab and boring?  No thank you.

Moving on. 

We chatted a little about what he does in the sci-fi sphere – such as running Les Pages aux Folles, which is a website dedicated to his musings and satire – some might say it’s biting.  My wife was really happy to meet a fellow connoisseur of French, and they shared a gleeful moment discussing the origins of the saying. 
Ira also writes sci-fi comedy.  I highly recommend taking a look at the excerpt for Welcome to the Multiverse (Sorry for the Inconvenience) on his site.  It is weird.  It is silly.  It is immediately interesting.  I’ve been struggling to come up with a proper literary comparison, and the best I can come up with is a cross between Douglas Adams and Charles Stross (his Lovecraftian stuff, not the other bits).  High praise from me – hopefully he doesn’t find that too insulting…

Beyond that he edits at Amazing Stories, is interested in establishing himself as a panel speaker at events like Ad Astra, is willing to pose and sign for noobs like me and, above all else, he’s a really nice guy.  So if you run into him, say hi.  Then buy a book, visit his website and follow him on Twitter.  Just not necessarily in that order.

PS. Proof I actually met him:


Comments

Popular Posts