Convention Review from a first timer: Ad Astra 2018 - Toronto (Part 5 of 5) - Parting Thoughts


So, I’ve gotten five posts out of a day and a half’s exposure to a sci-fi convention.  Obviously I like to talk.  But I also like to reflect.  It’s been a long time since I’ve experienced something completely new like this.  I did most of my traveling when I was younger and the things I’m either too afraid (skydiving) or unable (space) to do, I can usually get close enough through video games or videos.  Living vicariously is a good idea whenever real danger is involved, especially when the facsimiles are getting so good.

This is one of the reasons I like science fiction so much is because it allows us to tell stories and have experiences with settings and people that exist entirely outside of real life.  All in the safety of our favorite reading place (I assume most reading places are fairly safe).  

This is something I’m sure I’ve said before.  

Conventions are like mini-communities, in that they offer a place for people who share interests and ideas to get together.  It’s not that you’re going to meet a ton of people (or anyone if you don’t want), it’s just nice to be around a bunch of people who are just as weird as you are.  Or I am.  Of course there’s always going to be a few outliers – people who are a little too invested in their chosen hobby, but that’s true of anything.  Virtually any human activity can be taken too far.  And usually someone has.  

But for the rest of us, for Jo – who I met after one of the less enjoyable sessions discussed previously and who was great fun to talk to about all things editing, and Bradley – who was rocking a braided red beard and practically oozing energy – it’s just nice to know that we’ve got a wider group of peers than we might expect.  

And to the authors and publishers and editors – basically anyone trying to sell their work to this audience – that sense of community is what keeps you afloat.  It’s a co-dependent relationship:  the community spends its money in search of good science fiction (and on having fun with fellow fans), and the sellers rely on that money to support their production of more stories.  

The more we help each other, the better that give and take relationship gets.  And that’s better for everyone.  

And with that, I’ll say goodbye to Ad Astra for this year.  To the organizers and volunteers who put the events together – thank you for such a great time.  For the presenters and panelists and authors and vendors – keep up the good work.  And to my fellow fans of the genre (and all the cos-players brave enough to don your armor and strut your stuff) – stay awesome.  I’ll be seeing you next year! 

PS.  Can-Con is coming in October.  And this time I plan on bringing cards…

Comments

Popular Posts